You are here: HomeAbout MunicipalityHistoryHistorical Background

Historical Background

old-municipal-building
Its name in English means, "The first established town around the lake". A first class municipality, Binangonan lies between the foothills of Sierra Madre and the shores of Laguna de Bay. It is composed of 23 mainland and 17 island barangays. This town was separated and became an independent parish in 1621 through the initiatives of the Franciscan missionaries. The town was established in 1737 and conquered by the Spaniards in 1763. It became a town in 1900 during the American colonial period. Binangonan's major historical landmark is the 200-year-old Santa Ursula Parish, located at the heart of the town.

According to the records of Huerta Cavada , Binangonan, originally a visita of Morong, was separated and became independent parish in 1621. Another version stated, however, that Binangonan was separated from Morong in 1737.

Binangonan was first under the ecclesiastical administration of the Franciscans. A treaty between the Franciscans and the Jesuits in 1679 assigned Binangonan to the latter in exchange of the former dominion over Baras.

After 18 years, the Jesuits transferred their power over Binangonan to the Calced Augustinians in 1697. Forty years later, the Calded Augustinians restored it back to the Franciscans in 1731.

In 1766, the Superior Gobierno licensed Angono as an independent parish separating it from Binangonan. Angono's ecclesiastical activities were placed under the care of the secular clergy.

In 1835, Binangonan was separated from the province of Laguna and incorporated in the newly created Districts de los Mateo, later on renamed Distrito Politico Militar de Morong.

On August 6, 1898, the natives of Binangonan joined the revolutionary government of General Emilio Aguinaldo against the Spanish rule.

Under the American regime, Binangonan became an independent municipality under General Order No. 40 of March  29, 1900. On June 11, 1901, Act No. 137 of the Philippine Commission incorporated this town with the newly created province of Rizal.

Binangonan temporarily lost independence when it was combined with Morong, Baras and Cardona by virtue of Act No. 942 in 1903. Act No. 948 of November 6, 1903 restored independence to Binangonan and made Angono a part of Binangonan again. On January 1, 1939, Angono was made an independent town and part of the province of Rizal.

 

 

Last month October 2020 Next month
S M T W T F S
week 40 1 2 3
week 41 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
week 42 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
week 43 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
week 44 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Upcoming Events

No events